Thursday, September 9, 2010

"London"

When I first read this poem, I was depressed. I instantly thought of Charles Dickens because his many of his books take place in London. The main characters in the book are usually poor and the rich people are snobs who hate the poor. The poem seemed dark and gloomy. It was also sad. The poem begins with, "I wander through each chartered street...". I thought that the word 'wander' meant that the person was lost in their life and there was no meaning. "In every Infant's cry of fear" adds to the tone of the poem. The children are not even happy. "How the Chimney-sweeper's cry every black'ning Church appalls; and the hapless Soldier's sigh runs in blood down Palace walls." I took this to mean that the soldiers are the common people fighting for the rich. There blood is lost whether it be in war or even politics. The common person's view did not matter and they suffered.

1 comment: