Friday, September 3, 2010

Poetry

I believe that there are some limitations to poem interpretation. Perrine mentions symbols. He states, "Its meanings ate therefore almost infinite. But they are not unlimited." This means people can still make their own interpretations and they can be right. Many people want a definite answer of what a poem really means. E. A. Robinson said, "If an author interprets a poem of his own, he limits its suggestibility." I agree with this statement because poems promote creativity. The reader has to decide the meaning of the poem.
When I first read the poem, "The Night March," I did not know it was about the stars. Reading the article made me realize I need to pay more attention to the details in the poem. The poem used many words such as 'bright', 'beaming', 'twinkling', and 'shining'. I did not pay close attention to these key words. Poems are like riddles. Whenever I read a poem in school, I know that the poem is hardly ever what it seems. There are usually symbols used in poems which make interpreting the poem difficult. If a poem about flowers was actually about flowers, I would probably waste a lot of time trying to analyze what the flowers symbolize when they do not mean anything at all. Sometimes I believe people analyze too much.

1 comment:

  1. does this article give you more confidence in your approach to studying poetry, or less?

    ReplyDelete