Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Lottery

Question 1
When I started reading this story, I expected someone to win a large cash prize. I was very confused when the process of the lottery was explained. People would just pick out slips of paper and I could not figure out how anyone could win a prize when no one put anything in. The title leads the reader to think something good will come out of the lottery when in fact the winner, or loser, depending on how you look at it, gets stoned. The reader is not prepared for the stoning of a townsperson though children are collecting stones at the beginning. I assumed they were just collecting rocks for fun because some children do enjoy collecting rocks. When I read the end of the story, I understood why the children were collecting rocks and why some of the townspeople were nervous for the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment