Thursday, December 2, 2010

You're Ugly, Too

When I first read the story, I felt sympathetic toward the main character, Zoe. She was very eccentric and seemed to have few people in her life. She is even described as someone who tries but did not succeed. "She was almost pretty, but her face showed the strain and ambition of always having been close but not quite" (pg 353). I sympathized with her for that. As I continued reading I started sympathizing with her less and less. I started to become annoyed because she seemed disconnected. She would tell random stories to people. She was not well in conversation and could not connect with others. She pretends to push a guy off of a building and laughs. She went too far and her joke was not funny.

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting that your symathy goes down the closer you look.

    ReplyDelete