Thursday, January 27, 2011

Good Guy Dies While Evil Guy Lives?

As I was reading the last act of Othello, I thought that Iago might end up dying. I thought Othello might kill him and then kill himself after. I imagined that Othello would be raging and end up killing Iago because he suggested that he kill Desdemona, who was faithful to Othello to the very end. Iago does face a future that could be worse than death because he is a prisoner (V.ii.281). Everything eventually fell apart for Iago and he does not get away. This makes the ending a little happier because the reader knows that Iago was caught and does not live his life happily ever after. I was sad that Emilia died because she was just starting to stand up for herself. She told Othello that Desdemona was faithful and she accused Iago of planting false rumors in Othello's mind. She tells Othello the truth about the handkerchief and Iago stabs his own wife and then makes a run for it (V.ii.224-234). I enjoyed reading this play and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading Shakespearean plays. Who will I recommend this play to? I bet I could find someone if they gave Shakespeare a chance. They could hate Shakespeare because of a preconceived notion, and you know that never turns out well.

1 comment: