Friday, August 13, 2010

Drown your troubles

"It was like certain dinners I remember from the war. There was much wine, an ignored tension, and a feeling of things coming that you could not prevent happening. Under the wine I lost the disgusted feeling and was happy. It seemed they were all such nice people" (page 150). This quote made me think of MASH. Hawkeye and B.J. have a still in their tent and they drink often. Radar comes in and asks for a drink and he takes a sip saying, "Hey, I thought this stuff was supposed to make you feel good." B.J. replies, "No, its supposed to make you feel nothing." The war has a very negative effect on people and they will always have to live with the trauma of war. Many soldiers become alcoholics because of the war. Is Jake an alcoholic? I really do not know but it seems like he is because he drinks almost all of the time.

1 comment: