Thursday, August 5, 2010

First Person

"I mistrust all frank and simple people, especially when thier stories hold together..." (page 12). The Sun Also Rises is told in Jake Barnes' point of view. I love stories in first person becuase I have a complete understanding of the character. Nothing is hidden from the reader. It is more intimate because it is like being inside the head of the character. Jake Barnes expresses his thoughts and feelings and all the characters are shown in his perspective. If he does not like a character, then the reader probably will not either because they will be exposed to negative thoughts. I say this because I liked Robert Cohn in the beginning of the story and towards the middle I started to think he was annoying. I was annoyed that Cohn never stood up for himself. "Why did he sit there? Why did he keep on taking it like that?" (page 58). At first, I did not think how Jake liked Cohn in the beginning and then slowly became annoyed at him. He hated him after he went out with Brett and would not leave her alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment