Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Epigraph

"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down..." (page 7). I skimmed this page before I read the novel. I did not understand the meaning of the quote before I read the story so I thought I would read the novel and get back to it. I finished the novel and I did not know why the novel was called The Sun Also Rises. I found the passage at the beginning of the book and I reread it. The quote, "The sun also ariseth," from Ecclesiastes inspired Hemingway to title his book The Sun Also Rises. My interpretation of the quote is that the world just keeps going. Nothing will stop the sun from rising or the rivers flowing. People will die but the world keeps turning. Life goes on.

1 comment:

  1. your interpretation of the quote is correct....but you don't see a connection to the novel?

    ReplyDelete