Thursday, August 5, 2010

Stream of Consciousness

"... so I prayed that I would make a lot of money, and then I started to think how I would make it, and thinking of making money reminded me of the count, and I started wondering about where he was..." (page 103). Jake is in a church and is trying to pray. He begins praying for his friends and the bull-fights, then the fiesta , and finally their fishing trip. Hemmingway wrote this chain of thoughts very realistically. I will be thinking of something and then I end up on a random topic and I try to figure out how I had gotten to the idea. One thought automatically triggers more thoughts. Many books in first person do not always have a stream of consciousness but it is how humans think. It makes the character more real and believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment