Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dead Man

When I read the part where Tim O'Brien kills for the first time, I thought I kept reading the same line over and over. Many lines were repeated but on different pages and I finally realized why. The description of the dead body was repeated over and over because the character kept staring at it. It reminded me of when I see a dead animal on the road and I really do not want to look but I find myself staring at it anyway. Tim O'Brien killed the man and he cannot get over the fact that the man was dead because of him. "The left cheek was peeled back in three ragged strips" (page 124 and 128). "His one eye was shut and the other was a star-shaped hole" (page 126). "The star-shaped hole was red and yellow" (page 126). "One eye was shut. The other was a star-shaped hole" (page 130). I felt like I was accidentally reading the same part over and over because the lines were repeated so often. It felt like I was there, staring at the dead body with 'one eye shut and the other a star-shaped hole.' I could feel O'Brien's guilt and shock after killing the man. His conscience tortures him further by thinking about the man's life. He imagines why the man was there and who he was. He made the man seem like the good guy and he was the bad guy. He really knew nothing about the man but he felt terrible for killing him.

1 comment: