Friday, July 2, 2010

Rhetorical Question

In the beginning of the book, Tim O'Brien thinks back on the day where he almost jumped off the boat to reach Canada to avoid the draft. He describes what the shore looks like and the trees and bushes and I was thinking to myself "Just Jump Off the Boat!" Then I read the questions, "What would you do? Would you jump? Would you feel pity for yourself?" (page 56). Then I really thought about it. I probably would not have jumped. I would be too scared to leave my family and live in a foreign place all alone. I would feel sorry for myself and ask why it was happening to me. I would cry just as the character did. The question, "What would you do?", allowed me to put myself into Tim O'Brien's shoes so I could feel what he was feeling. Some people may say they would have jumped but it is true? The Rhetorical question allows the reader to put themselves into the situation and understand why the character does not jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment