Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Transition

Reading about Norman Bowker reminded me of how the soldiers are expected to carry on with their lives after the war is over. They cannot go on with how they were living before because of the traumatic events that happened in the war. It reminded me of Frodo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings. He leaves his home, the Shire, to destroy the Ring. When he finally does, he returns home but cannot adjust to his old life so he leaves Middle-Earth. Norman felt guilty for letting go of his friend, Kiowa. He said, ..."there's no place to go. Not just in this lousy little town. In general. My life, I mean. It's almost like I got killed over in Nam... Hard to describe. That night when Kiowa got wasted, I sort of sank down into the sewage with him... Feels like I'm still in deep shit" (page 156). He could not go on with his life. He still couldn't get over his guilt and he was left grieving for his friend. Many soldiers come back from war with drug addictions or alcohol addictions. It is not surprising because the soldiers have to deal with so much. Many couldn't handle. Norman Bowker later hangs himself. It was sad to know that he couldn't deal with it anymore. He could have had a long and happy life it not for the war.

1 comment: