Friday, July 2, 2010

Paradox

"War is nasty; war is fun. War is thrilling; war is drudgery. War makes you a man; war makes you dead." "But in truth war is also beauty" (page 80). When I first read this, I refused to believe that"war is also beauty." I did not understand what was meant by it. I read further as O'Brien describes why it is beauty. The mind hates the whole idea of war, but the events and outcome of the war is fascinating. He describes it, "like cancer under a microscope" (page 81). The cancer is amazing because it has the power to take life, but it is sad because someone must suffer because of it. War is powerful and as a result of it, lives are altered and many lost. After an attack and a soldier is not dead, there is a sense of happiness and pleasure in the mere fact that death was evaded. "... you're never more alive than when you're almost dead" (page 81). This paradox makes the reader examine life in a war more closely. I felt the exhilaration of being alive when the soldiers survived an attack. It made me think about who and what I loved in this world and all that I take for granted in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment