Friday, July 2, 2010

Imagery

"Except for a few marshy spots along the river, everything was bone dry. No ghosts-just a flat, grassy field. The place was at peace. There were yellow butterflies. There was a breeze and a wide blue sky'' (page 181). The landscape in the book was so vivid. I felt like I had actually seen the field where Kiowa had died. It had seemed ominous and scary. It was dark and rainy and the men were miserable. When the character, Tim O'Brien, returns to the field, it seems very peaceful and calm. There were no visible signs that someone had died there in the war. The land had erased all evil memories at the site. With the use of imagery, Vietnam is clearly imagined and the book becomes reality. When I read a book with a clear description, I feel as though I am being transported into the book. The place becomes real and so do the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment