Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Grief

As I read the book, I would come to a part that simply shocked me. It was the part where Rat Kiley mutilates the body of a baby water buffalo. Curt Lemon had died and Rat was lost. I felt sick as I continued to read about various body parts being shot off of the buffalo. I did feel bad for the baby buffalo because it did nothing to deserve this kind of treatment. In the book, it said, "It wasn't to kill; it was to hurt" (page 79). It was disturbing. Rat was hurting and he had to hurt something else in return. The harshness of his actions scared me. I cannot even imagine killing an animal, though I have killed bugs and I even feel guilty killing them! He did not kill the animal directly though it would die because of the wounds. It would have been better if he killed it but he let it suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment